The City of Hope Medical Center began in 1913 as the Jewish Consumptive Relief Association, a tuberculosis sanatorium in the desert outside Los Angeles, California. It offered free care to all, without regard to race or creed. Pamela Burton & Company, as consultants to NBBJ Seattle, provided master planning services and landscape design for a replacement facility at what is now a world class cancer research and treatment center. Now called Helford Hospital, this replacement hospital provides cancer care and research facilities in a welcoming environment. Landscape elements integrate nature with the building, with an entry garden on the north side of the building flowing around the driveway and pedestrian pathways, making a metaphorical transition from past to future. A chapel in a meditative garden setting is located adjacent to the hospital, linked by an informal path. Healing garden rooms are located at intervals along the path, providing private spaces for quiet conversation or contemplation. A third floor roof terrace provides landscape elements like shade structures, attractive planting and graphic treatments for patients and visitors to view from the third floor as well as from the levels above.
City of Hope